Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Use linux to test your QoS setup

Anyone setting up a QoS network should make an effort to "stress test" it. I picked up the idea for my solution from my QoS training. They were using bittwist in order to push pseudo data through the network in order to make sure our policies were effective. I found out that bittwist was in the Ubuntu repositories, so I set out to make my server a traffic generator for my labs. Bittwist works by using a traffic capture file that you have saved from using a traffic analyzer, like wireshark. I added 3 gigabit interfaces to my server so I could push a substantal amount of traffic and then used ethernet bonding in order to load balance the traffic on said interfaces. All in all, it works pretty well. To learn how bond ethernet interfaces, go here and to learn more about bittwist, go here

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment